Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Very First Known Correspondence between Thomas Edison and inventor Nikola Tesla

RE: CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS PROPOSAL

Greetings KIND SIR,

My name is Thomas Edison, founder of EDISON MACHINE WORKS. I have recently inherited a large sum of money (US $250,000) from a Nigerian nobleman who is interested in my applications for ELECTICITY. Specifically, Prince Nakambu would like to adapt my DIRECT CURRENT system for his palace, but he is WARY of DC’s inherent faults. Presently the money is frozen in an OVER-SEAS bank account until I can improve upon the DC design and make it a viable transit for electricity OVER LONG DISTANCES.

I would like you to confirm your INTEREST in working for me IMMEDIATELY via telegraph. I have heard that you have been working on a design for a system that utilizes ALTERNATING CURRENT, and I must say that I AM IMPRESSED. I have authorized my accountant to mail you a check for (US $50,000), and in return I would like to glance over your ideas. Please send your blueprints to my secure EDISON MACHINE WORKS PO Box in SWITZERLAND and after I MARVEL IN YOUR INGENUITY I will send them right back.

I am looking forward to your reply and I want to stress my desire to PROTECT YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY with a secure blanket of CONFIDENTIALITY. I would never spend the rest of my life DEFAMING you.

YOURS FAITHFULLY,
PRINCE THOMAS EDISON

No comments: